The Rebirth of Crazy Ger Chapter 138 Part 2

"City Lord... uh..."

"Thank you, City Lord."

Cheng Li interrupted Cheng Bai, pinching the back of his neck. Cheng Bai, in pain, trembled and couldn't form complete syllables.

Seeing this, Cheng Li hauled him up and said, "Then, City Lord, Cheng Li will take Cheng Bai back now."

"Mm." Xi Ning waved his hand.

Xi Ning watched them leave, then turned to Yuan Heng with a smile. "Cheng Bai has always been steady and calm. This is the first time I've seen him so impulsive. Moreover, after what you did to Yao'er, he doesn't harbor the slightest resentment towards Yao'er, his sole focus is on defeating you. It seems his feelings for Yao'er have taken deep root. If Yao'er remembers and, just like before, sticks to Cheng Bai, then Yao'er and Cheng Bai could be considered a well-matched couple."

"..." Yuan Heng's expression remained impassive, betraying no emotion. His eyes, the sole feature that might have revealed his inner feelings, were slightly downcast, rendering their depths unreadable.

Xi Ning continued, "To be honest, Cheng Bai grew up with Yao'er in Ning'an City, and I watched him come of age. Cheng Bai has numerous properties in Ning'an City and can guarantee my Yao'er a worry-free life. His only shortcoming was that his feelings weren't entirely genuine. But now, with his current behavior, that lack of genuineness is gone. Compared to you, a suddenly-appearing ancient beastman who has nothing, I would prefer him to be with Yao'er. Otherwise, I wouldn't have used Yao'er's memory loss as an excuse to keep dragging out their marriage agreement."

"..." Just as expected. Yuan Heng twitched the corner of his mouth. "I figured that out long ago."

"Oh?" Xi Ning raised an eyebrow. "Then you...?"

"City Lord." Yuan Heng looked up, his light-colored pupils like clear, bright amber. The eyes originally thought to be full of fierceness now revealed an innocent emotion.

An ancient beastman who had experienced life and death could have eyes so pure? If he hadn't seen it with his own eyes, Xi Ning would never have believed it.

"What you say doesn't count. The ger's choice is what counts. The ger was a well-matched couple with Cheng Bai in the past, but isn't he the same with me now? He hasn't woken up yet. No one knows what will happen in the future."

Hearing this, Xi Ning laughed lightly and said lazily, "That's true."

Seeing this, Yuan Heng suddenly knelt down.

Xi Ning was startled, then heard Yuan Heng say, "City Lord, I beg you to agree to Cheng Bai's and my decision to hunt Haiqiong, and to act as the judge for our victory or defeat."

"..." Xi Ning was taken aback. Just moments before, this man had appeared utterly indifferent, as though the decision to compete rested solely with Cheng Bai. What could have prompted such a sudden and decisive shift to proactive insistence?

"You... why the sudden initiative?" Xi Ning asked, narrowing his eyes.

Yuan Heng said, "A moment ago... whether I competed with Cheng Bai or not wasn't important, because I was going to find Haiqiong for the ger to taste regardless. But now..."

Yuan Heng paused, looked up at Xi Ning, his light-colored pupils becoming profound. An immense aura radiated from his entire body, a huge pressure assaulting Xi Ning.

"!" Xi Ning stepped back several paces but was still pressured into breaking out in a cold sweat.

This person... had been suppressing his aura this entire time!

So this... is the true pressure of an ancient beastman?

"I want the City Lord to know that ancient beastmen are strong, far stronger than any of you imagine. Someone as strong as I am can do anything for the ger. The ger will not live any worse with me than with anyone else."

"..." The beastman spoke with such conviction, as if stating a fact. The determination in his eyes made one believe him involuntarily.

Even though he was kneeling, looking up at Xi Ning from below, the sheer majesty radiating from him was potent enough to render Xi Ning's legs weak and unsteady, completely against his will.

What an ancient beastman... to so easily completely suppress me, a City Lord. Luckily, there's no one else around now, otherwise how would I, as a City Lord maintain my dignity?

Noting the fine beads of sweat on the other man's forehead and his noticeably paled complexion, Yuan Heng collected himself. He swiftly reined in his oppressive aura and lowered his head. "I give you my word that Cheng Bai's life will not be in danger. I beg the City Lord to agree to this duel."

"..." Guarantee Cheng Bai's life won't be in danger? What audacity!

This person said ancient beastmen are far stronger than anyone imagines. Just how strong is that? Strong enough to hunt a Haiqiong alone and still protect another person unscathed? How is that possible? Even my Xi clan, with their beast-taming abilities, can't achieve that...

Xi Ning's curiosity was piqued. His original refusal turned over in his mind several times, but he ultimately couldn't voice it.

Seeing this, Yuan Heng said, "If the City Lord does not reply, I will take it as your agreement."

"..." Xi Ning was silent for a moment, swallowed, and let out a light laugh. "Fine. In three days, at the city gate. I will have Cheng Li agree to your contest."

A slight smile tugged at Yuan Heng's lips. "Then I thank the City Lord."

Xi Ning laughed and said, "Since you've boasted so extravagantly, you'd better not disappoint me."

Having said that, he glanced towards the room, saw the person inside sleeping soundly, then turned in another direction. "Take good care of Yao'er. I'm going back now."

"City Lord, wait." Yuan Heng called out to stop him. Xi Ning turned back, puzzled.

Yuan Heng stepped forward, took something out from his bosom, and presented it to Xi Ning. "This is a gift the ger and I previously discussed giving to you."

"A gift?" Wasn't it the fireworks? Xi Ning looked down at the object in Yuan Heng's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tyrannical Emperor Reborn Chapter 70 Part 2

At this point, the ministers simply thought the Emperor did not want Shen Nian to hear about Chang Sheng's treason from elsewhere, so he...