My Fulang is a Delicate Flower Chapter 76 Part 4


With some embarrassment, Ji Taoyu said: "Could your work crew help us with the town’s horseback archery range first? We’ll pay the standard market rate for wages—it’s just that the payment might have to wait until after the range opens and starts turning a profit. Would that be possible?"  

"You also know how it is—the interest from the bank is no small matter for even a single day. To borrow money to pay our own workers, wouldn’t that make us complete fools?"  

Ji Taoyu assured him, "Eldest Uncle, you needn’t worry. Once the project is finished and the profits come in, we’ll definitely settle the payment in full."  

Ji Yangkai’s smile stiffened slightly. He gave a dry cough but did not respond.  

"I remember you brought back quite a few horses, didn’t you? A single horse could fetch a good sum. How did it come to borrowing from the exchange house?"  

"We did bring back many horses, but feeding them along the way cost a lot. Only about twenty were sold. It should’ve been two or three thousand taels, but we negotiated with the porcelain merchant to source goods from their workshop, and relied on their connections to buy land and shops. Gifts and expenses were unavoidable. After buying the land, our funds were completely drained."  

Ji Taoyu sighed: "No one in our family has done business before. A-Shu and I are just crossing the river by feeling the stones. We didn’t calculate the accounts properly, and now we’re in this mess."  
[摸着石頭過河 (mō zhe shí tou guò hé): lit. Crossing the river by feeling the stones; fig. Proceeding cautiously through trial and error]

Ji Yangzong saw that Ji Taoyu spoke earnestly and was half-convinced, but still said: "Big Brother, what do you think? Can it be done or not?"  

"I didn’t want to trouble you, but after all, we’re family."  

Ji Yangkai took a deep breath: "I’m willing to help. Family should support each other in times of difficulty. But not all the workers share our surname, Ji. The others also rely on their wages to feed their families. Without a definite timeline, I’m afraid they won’t agree."  

"The You family is also pressing hard. They want to move into their new house before the New Year after autumn. Living in a drafty house in the dead of winter would hardly be fitting for a scholar-official."  

His excuses lacked conviction, and he suddenly recalled what Ji Yangzong had said earlier: "Didn’t you say you were rushing to open the horseback archery range after the autumn harvest? I originally thought to take our time and build it properly, but now that I think of your difficulties—waiting for the business to start and recoup costs—that wouldn’t do. Even if we pull workers over, we still wouldn’t make it in time."  

Hearing his uncle’s evasiveness, Ji Taoyu couldn’t help but roll his eyes inwardly, though his face still wore an expression of helplessness.  

"Eldest Uncle~"  

"How about this, I've saved up a bit of dowry money for Li ger. It's not much, and it's held by your eldest uncle's fulang, but I'll go back and talk to him. We can lend it to you and Huo Shu for now to tide you over. Will that do?"  

Ji Taoyu's eyebrows lifted slightly as he pressed directly: "How much is there?"  

Ji Yangkai choked at the question. He hadn’t expected Ji Taoyu to actually consider taking the dowry money.  

"Your eldest uncle isn’t very capable—I haven’t saved much. Your little uncle keeps a tight grip on the money. There might be ten or eight taels. I’ll have to ask him carefully to know for sure."  

Ji Yangzong scolded Ji Taoyu sharply: "How disgraceful! Even your Li ger's dowry money—do you still want him to marry? That’s not money to be borrowed!"  

Then, he turned to Ji Yangkai: "Eldest Brother, I understand your difficulties. Hard times pass eventually. Don’t trouble yourself over us—I’ll think of another way."  

Ji Yangkai opened his mouth but found himself at a loss for words.  

He shifted uncomfortably, stiffly sipping his tea and avoiding Ji Taoyu’s dejected expression.  

"It’s getting dark. If I’m late, my family will worry."  

Ji Yangkai made his excuse. Seeing that neither father nor son responded, as if still hoping he’d change his mind, he grew even more restless.  

"I’ll take my leave then. If there’s anything, Xiao Liu can come discuss it with me."  

Ji Yangzong acknowledged and stood to see him out: "Take care, Eldest Brother."  

After escorting him out of the courtyard and watching him leave, Ji Yangzong hurried back inside.  

"Why didn’t you tell me earlier that you were out of money?"  

Ji Taoyu blinked at his father: "How could we be out of money? If we were, who’d buy land and start a business?"  

Ji Yangzong had suspected Taoyu was pretending, but he’d still been a little shaken. Now, hearing this, he fully relaxed.  

He pointed at Ji Taoyu, shaking his finger, both annoyed and amused: "You scared your eldest uncle so badly he left without looking back."  

Ji Taoyu said leisurely: "Eldest Uncle said he wanted more work to save up for Li ger’s dowry—I thought that was a good thing. Giving him our family’s projects wouldn’t be a problem. But the moment I tested him, he backed off immediately. How could we afford to delay the horseback archery range’s opening just to give him the work?"  

"Family should help each other, but it should be mutual understanding that makes the help willing."  

Ji Yangzong laughed: "Your eldest uncle must be feeling so ashamed now he won’t dare face our family again. You’ve grown cunning, boy."  

Ji Taoyu raised his brows: "I’m going to bed."  

"Wait—do you two really still have money?"  

At the doorway, Ji Taoyu glanced at Huo Shu, who was waiting by the window, then turned back helplessly to his father: "If we were really out of money, we’d just have Huo Shu go back to farming. No more ventures."  

1 comment:

The Tyrannical Emperor Reborn Chapter 74 Part 1

Chapter 74 Shen Nian took the letter, and Ruan Jiqing left with a look of grievance, his figure appearing quite forlorn. Though Shen Nian kn...